The overall goal of the project entitled “Towards a dynamic and participatory political party environment” is to support new and emerging political parties in Egypt to become strong, effective and democratic partners in the new multiparty democracy of Egypt. This goal is pursued through 5 activities:
- Building of a knowledge base of voter preferences.
- Establishing political debates and interparty discussions.
- Learn from different global transition experiences.
- Training and dialogue on electoral systems, legal reform, constitution building processes and party organization.
- Establishment of political education programmes (so-called Democracy Schools).
The project’s primary target group is emerging and existing political parties or groups that envision running in the upcoming parliamentary election or supporting a candidate in the upcoming presidential election.
The upcoming elections make it difficult to predict the future of the political order in Egypt. The activities are therefore first and foremost focused on short- and medium-term interventions in 2011 and 2012.
The project will be implemented in close cooperation with International IDEA, Netherlands Institute for Multiparty Democracy (NIMD) and – based in Egypt – the Al-Ahram Centre for Political and Strategic Studies, the Centre for Parliamentary Studies at Cairo University, and finally, the Danish Egyptian Dialogue Institute (DEDI).