Himalayan politicians seek inspiration in the lowlands of Denmark
This week members of six of the major political parties in Nepal will seek inspiration in the Danish local political party environment to strengthen the local branches of their own political parties.
The constitutional process in Nepal has collapsed, the parliament has been dissolved and new elections for a Constituent Assembly has been set for 22 November 2012. Despite this fragile situation in Nepal, members from the six parties in the Steering Committee for the DIPD project decided to come to Denmark to show their commitment to the partnership. The objective of the partnership is to strengthen the willingness and capability of Nepali political parties to consolidate the newly established multiparty system with a particular focus on local level politics.
The delegation began their visit in Denmark by an introduction to the local government system in Denmark by Holger Pyndt from “Local Government Denmark”. Afterwards they visited Copenhagen City hall and ended the day at “Amagerforbrænding” – an energy and waste cooperation plant, which is owned by four municipalities in the Copenhagen area.
Grundlovsdag (Constitution Day)
The delegation will experience Constitution Day in different parts of the country. Danish local politicians will host their Nepalese colleagues, introduce them to local politics in their area and celebrate the Danish Constitution Day with them. This year it is 100 years ago that the first constitutional day speech was held in Hohøj, where some of the Nepali participants will be visiting.
One of the core activities of the delegation will be to discuss the relevance and usefulness of an inspirational guide that DIPD is developing together with a Danish working group of local politicians and coordinators of local political party organizations.
The delegation will end with a public seminar in cooperation with the Danish Institute for International Studies (DIIS). The seminar will focus on why it was not possible to obtain consensus between the political peers in Nepal and what the challenges are for the future of democracy in Nepal.
Members of the Delegation
- Mr. Khim Lal Devkota, Unified Communist Party of Nepal-Maoist
- Mr. Binod Kumar Bhattarai, Nepali Congress
- Ms. Chitra Lekha Yadav, Nepali Congress
- Mr. Parashuram Meghi Gurung, Communist Party of Nepal-Unified Marxist-Leninist
- Mr. Arjun Thapa, Madheshi Janadhikar Forum, Nepal
- Ms. Renu Yadav, Madheshi Janadhikar Forum, Nepal
- Mr. Hem Raj Tater, Madhesi Janadhikar Forum – Democratic
- Mr. Jeetendra Narayan Dev, Madhesi Janadhikar Forum – Democratic
- Mr. Jitendra Prasad Sonal, Tarai Madhesh Democratic Party or Tarai Madhesh Loktantrik Party
- Mr. Suresh Kumar Mandal, Tarai Madhesh Democratic Party or Tarai Madhesh Loktantrik Party